Ainsworth & Dunn Warehouse Nominated
The Seattle Landmarks Preservation Board unanimously nominated the Ainsworth & Dunn Warehouse (2815 Elliot Ave) at its July 2, 2014 meeting. The building, more commonly known as the Old Spaghetti Factory Restaurant in Seattle’s Belltown neighborhood, was built in 1902 for Ainsworth & Dunn, a prominent salmon-packing company, as their warehouse. In 1901, the same firm built Pier 14 (now Pier 70). The warehouse was constructed to operate in tandem with the pier.
Historic Seattle, the Queen Anne Historical Society and local preservationists submitted letters of strong support for nomination.
The Board nominated both the exterior and interior. The Board’s decision was a big step forward in recognizing the significance of vernacular style industrial buildings in Seattle which are often times not appreciated or understood as well as more high style examples of architecture. The property is also significant for its association with Ainsworth & Dunn and the industrial development of the city. Its location is also a prominent one at the north end of the waterfront. It stands out among the piers, multi-family apartments and condos, and the Olympic Sculpture Park.
The building’s adaptive reuse into a restaurant in the 1970s has kept it an active space for thousands to enjoy every year. The owner has been an excellent steward of the property. We hope any future plans for the block preserves the Ainsworth & Dunn Warehouse in its entirety. The surface parking lot adjacent to the south could provide the available land needed for development, allowing the Ainsworth & Dunn building to anchor a future project.
The Board will consider the property for landmark designation at its August 6, 2014 meeting.