History was made on Wednesday, June 16, 2010, when the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Board voted 8-2 to designate the Bloss House, a 1915 Craftsman style bungalow in West Seattle’s Admiral district. The house’s site, exterior and the living and dining rooms were included in the designation. The Bloss House was designated under Criterion D of the Landmarks Preservation Ordinance, which states that a resource embodies the distinctive visible characteristics of an architectural style, period, or method of construction. The Bloss House embodies the Craftsman style bungalow and retains much of its original features. The Board recognized the Bloss House as a fine example of the more modestly scaled and common bungalow. These types of houses define Seattle’s residential neighborhoods. While they may be common, the Bloss House’s high integrity on both the exterior and interior make it stand out. The Board took a big step in acknowledging the significance of everyday architecture.
Historic Seattle and University of Washington graduate student Megan Meulemans prepared the Bloss House nomination report for Ruth Ward (owner from 1971 to April 2010). Sadly, Ruth passed away five days after the Board nominated the house in April. Ruth’s wish was to leave an architectural legacy in Seattle. The formal listing of the Bloss House as a Seattle landmark will continue this legacy. The house is currently under new ownership. Historic Seattle has been working with the new owners through this process and will assist in the controls and incentives process. Read more about the designation meeting on the West Seattle Blog.