MAin2

Historic Seattle’s Preservation Blog

Archive for the ‘Awards’ Category

Announcing 2017 Awards

awards invite_front_2017_blog_cropped

On Tuesday, September 19, 2017, Historic Seattle hosts its 9th Annual Preservation Awards celebration at the landmark Washington Hall in the Central District. Space is limited. Purchase your tickets today! The Awards showcase and recognize exceptional public and private projects, as well as individuals and community groups that preserve and protect Seattle’s built heritage for future generations.

Nancy Guppy will serve as emcee. Doors open at 6:00 pm. The awards presentation and dinner begin at 6:30 pm, followed by a dessert reception and performance by Garfield Jazz at 8:00 pm.

Wine and beer generously provided by Proletariat Wine and Standard Brewing

Congratulations to the 2017 award recipients!

Beth Chave Historic Preservation Award for Preserving Neighborhood Character

Southwest Seattle Historical Society: “We Love the Junction” Campaign

Best Adaptive Reuse

McMenamins Anderson School

Exemplary Stewardship

First United Methodist Church | The Sanctuary

Best Rehabilitation

The Publix Hotel

Outstanding Modern Preservation

Robert Reichert House & Studio

Neighborhood Reinvestment

Optimism Brewing

Community Advocacy

Vanishing Seattle

Community Investment

Building for Culture

 

Photo sidebar: 2016 Awards event at Washington Hall; Sticks and Stones Photography

Announcing 2016 Awards

On Thursday, October 13, 2016, Historic Seattle hosts its 8th Annual Preservation Awards celebration at the newly-restored Washington Hall in the Central District. Tickets are going fast, but there’s still time to register (deadline to purchase tickets: Friday, October 7). The Awards showcase and recognize exceptional public and private projects, as well as individuals and community groups, that preserve and protect Seattle’s built heritage for future generations.

Knute Berger (Mossback) will serve as emcee. The event begins at 6:00 pm with cocktail hour and tour of Washington Hall, followed by the awards presentation and dinner at 7:00 pm and dessert reception at 8:00 pm.

We also invite you to join us for the free community dance party afterwards (9:00 to 10:30 pm).

Congratulations to the 2016 award recipients!

View more information and photos on our website.

Beth Chave Historic Preservation Award for Exemplary Stewardship
Phinney Neighborhood Association

Best Rehabilitation
Union Stables

Best Adaptive Reuse
Pioneer Houses / San Fermo

Preserving Neighborhood Character ­
Gaslight Inn / Singerman House

Art + Architecture
Cascadia Art Museum

Outstanding Modern Masterpiece
Dowell Residence

Preserving Community
Washington Hall Anchor Partners: 206 Zulu, Hidmo and Voices Rising

Legacy Award
Les Tonkin

 

Peggy Corley

This is the last post in an eight-part series on our blog, highlighting Historic Seattle’s 2015 Preservation Award recipients. The awards were presented at our 7th Annual Preservation Awards Ceremony on May 12, 2015, at the Good Shepherd Center.

Living Landmark

Peggy Corley

Historic Seattle Newsletter - 1981The Living Landmark Award went to Peggy Corley for her longstanding commitment and achievements in the field of historic preservation.

Peggy Corley is a graduate of Whitman College Class of 1952. She attended graduate school at the University of Washington where she studied cultural anthropology.

Corley is associated with many “firsts” in the preservation field in Seattle. She was the first chairperson of the Landmarks Preservation Board. During her seven years of leadership (1973-80), the Board designated nearly 100 individual historic properties and three landmarks districts. Peggy was the first professional staff person hired at the Seattle Historical Society/Museum of History and Industry (MOHAI), where she also served as a volunteer, board member, and board president.

Other boards she has served on include Federal Historic Sites Survey, King County Liaison (1968-73) and Friends of the Georgetown Steam Plant (1985-1988). She is the recipient of numerous awards over the years, including Washington State Jefferson Medal (1979), History Maker Award from MOHAI (1996), Victor Steinbrueck Lifetime Achievement Award from Historic Seattle (1999); Gordon Scribner Award for Distinguished Service from Whitman College (2014).

Governor Dan Evans appointed her to the State Advisory Council on Historic Preservation, where she served for three years (1973-77). Governor Booth Gardner later appointed Corley to the State Heritage Council (1984-89), which was tasked with redefining roles and scope of the state’s history museums.

Upon her retirement from the Landmarks Preservation Board, Mayor Charles Royer designated February 5, 1981, “Peggy Corley Day” proclaiming, “Peggy Corley has contributed not only an impressive grasp of history, but also a strong commitment to the public process, a willingness to work long and hard with government and community groups, and a flair for bringing together people and ideas.”

Peggy’s dedication and devotion carry on to this day. On February 13, 2015, she joined Historic Seattle and other community advocates for a special “heart bomb” event to show her love for the University of Washington’s Nuclear Reactor Building, a unique Cold War era resource that’s threatened with demolition.

Photos: Top left photo courtesy of MOHAI. Inset image from Historic Seattle newsletter, 1981.

Dunn Gardens

This is the seventh of an eight-part series on our blog, highlighting Historic Seattle’s 2015 Preservation Award recipients. The awards were presented at our 7th Annual Preservation Awards Ceremony on May 12, 2015, at the Good Shepherd Center.

Preserving Historic Landscapes

Dunn Gardens
13533 Northshire Road NW

Photo courtesy of E.B. Dunn Historic Garden Trust.

Photo courtesy of E.B. Dunn Historic Garden Trust.

The Preserving Historic Landscapes Award went to E. B. Dunn Historic Garden Trust for its respectful preservation stewardship of the work of the Olmsted Brothers, America’s leading landscape firm.

In 1914, Arthur Dunn purchased 10 acres of undeveloped rural land in what is now Seattle’s Broadview neighborhood and commissioned the renowned Olmsted Brothers to design a master plan for the family’s summer “country place.” The plan retained and enhanced many of the site’s natural features, and added new elements such as a curvilinear drive and foot paths; naturalistic groupings of deciduous trees and spring-flowering shrubs; large drifts of bulbs; a Great Lawn; and woodland walks.

Dunn, an avid gardener, took great pride in his garden, continually refining the plant list to suit his own style until his death in 1945. He passed on his love of gardening to his children. Edward B. Dunn, his second child, spent nearly 45 years turning a 2.7-acre site into a woodland haven.

When Ed Dunn died in 1991, he left an endowment for the garden’s preservation. Established in 1993, the E. B. Dunn Historic Garden Trust is a non-profit dedicated to conserving the Dunn Gardens, along with other historically and horticulturally significant Northwest gardens. The gardens opened to the public in 1994 and were listed on the National Register.

For over two decades, the Trust has worked to rehabilitate and conserve the Olmsted plantings. Charles Price and Glenn Withey, prominent garden designers, serve as resident curators. Mindful of the Dunn legacy, only subtle changes are made to the property. In 1993, the local landscape architecture firm, Portico Group, developed a master plan to guide the garden’s renovation.

Celebrating their 100th anniversary in 2015, the vision of the Gardens “as a place of timeless grace” has been realized. The Trust hopes to continue its stewardship of these remarkable gardens so they can be enjoyed for another century.

Supporting Partners: E.B. Dunn Historic Garden Trust; Doug Bayley; Charles Price and Glenn Withey; Portico Group.

 

The Friends of the Conservatory

This is the sixth of an eight-part series on our blog, highlighting Historic Seattle’s 2015 Preservation Award recipients. The awards were presented at our 7th Annual Preservation Awards Ceremony on May 12, 2015, at the Good Shepherd Center.

Community Advocacy Award

The Friends of the Conservatory, Volunteer Park

Friends of the Conservatory logoThe Community Advocacy Award went to The Friends of the Conservatory, Volunteer Park for its tireless efforts in advocating for the restoration of the Volunteer Park Conservatory.

The Volunteer Park Conservatory has stood as a beloved community icon in the Olmsted Brothers-designed Capitol Hill park since 1912. Listed on the National Register and designated a Seattle Landmark, the Conservatory is one of the few remaining original Victorian public glass houses in the country. It houses an outstanding tropical plant collection, hosts classes and day camps for school-age children, and provides space for art classes, events, and public gatherings.

Formed as a non-profit organization in 1980, the Friends of the Conservatory (FOC) grew out of a 1978 citizens’ campaign to restore the physical structure of the Conservatory. The restoration process has been a phased and sustained effort led by the FOC as successful advocates in grassroots campaigns to keep the Conservatory open.

For the third and final phase of the Conservatory’s 25-year restoration project, the FOC (with the Seattle Parks Foundation as fiscal sponsor), in partnership with Seattle Parks and Recreation, led the Restoration Action Campaign which raised almost $3 million in capital funding to restore the East Wing and Seasonal and Cactus houses, and to build a new production house. Completed in 2014, the project replaced the aging wood glazing system and reinforced the structural framework. Precise replicas were fabricated in long-lasting extruded aluminum to match the original historic structure.

The members of the 2014-2015 FOC Board of Directors are: Rudi Opderbeck (President), Tim Motzer (Treasurer), Mike Cory (Secretary), Christie Aesquivel, Bob Jenkins, Gayle Macy, Christine Peterson, Kenneth Taylor, Audrey Van Horne, Dave Blythe, and Sara Chapman. Honorary Board members are Henry Kuharic, Rich Lang, and Ivan Von Katzen.

FOC staff: Executive Director Anthonio Pettit, Administrative Executive Audrey Meade, Gift Shop Director Chrissa Nordquist.

Supporting Partners: The Friends of the Conservatory; Seattle Parks and Recreation; Seattle Parks Foundation; Adam Young Architecture & Design, LLC; Biwell Construction Inc.

Top left photo by Eugenia Woo

Anhalt Apartment Building

This is the fifth of an eight-part series on our blog, highlighting Historic Seattle’s 2015 Preservation Award recipients. The awards were presented at our 7th Annual Preservation Awards Ceremony on May 12, 2015, at the Good Shepherd Center.

Preserving Neighborhood Character Award

Anhalt Apartment Building Project
1600 East John Street

Anhalt Apartment Building, 1600 E John St., SeattleThe Preserving Neighborhood Character Award went to the Anhalt Apartment Building project for preserving and converting the historic apartment building, and transforming the adjacent site with modern infill.

When Anhalt Apartment, LLC purchased this corner property at East John Street and 16th Avenue East, they acquired a piece of Capitol Hill history. The 1931 three-story brick Tudor apartment building was developed by prolific designer/builder Frederick William Anhalt. Group Health acquired the building in 1968, gutted the interior and converted it to offices. After sitting vacant since 2008, the historic gem was purchased in 2012 by its new owners.

Stephen Day Architects was brought on to get the property listed on the National Register of Historic Places and assist with the federal rehabilitation tax credit process. BOLA Architecture + Planning prepared a landmark nomination, which resulted in local designation and guided the protection of significant features, such as the clinker brick, stucco and half-timbering, conical spire, and interior circular stair towers.

PUBLIC47 Architects reimagined the Anhalt building interior and designed a new modern infill addition on the northern third of the property. The historic building was reconfigured into a mix of studio, one- and two-bedroom units. The infill, which houses 15 apartment units, takes cues from its historic neighbor including material choices, scale and massing. A narrow courtyard defines the open space between the two structures. Collaborating with the Preservation Green Lab (National Trust for Historic Preservation) and Seattle Department of Planning and Development, the project was used as an Energy Code Demonstration Project to encourage the re-use and retrofit of existing buildings.

Supporting Partners: Anhalt Apartment, LLC; Trinity Real Estate; PUBLIC47 Architects; BOLA Architecture + Planning; Stephen Day Architects; Shilshole Construction; Jergens Construction; DCI Engineers; Weisman Design Group; WSP Flack & Kurtz; RDH.

Photos: top left photo by Eugenia Woo; historic photo courtesy of MOHAI

Shaping Seattle Architecture

This is the fourth of an eight-part series on our blog, highlighting Historic Seattle’s 2015 Preservation Award recipients. The awards were presented at our 7th Annual Preservation Awards Ceremony on May 12, 2015, at the Good Shepherd Center.

Architectural Heritage Publication Award

Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects, Second Edition

Shaping Seattle ArchitectureThe Architectural Heritage Publication Award went to the second edition of Shaping Seattle Architecture (University of Washington Press) for its invaluable contribution to a deeper understanding of architects who helped shape Seattle’s built environment.

Shaping Seattle Architecture was published in 1994 to document the lives and work of designers instrumental in creating the region’s built environment. Twenty years later, the second edition revises and expands upon this seminal work through updated information and illustrations, additional architects, and broader historical perspective on the second half of the 20th century.

Both editions were edited by Jeffrey Karl Ochsner, University of Washington professor of architecture. Ochsner worked with a five-person editorial board (as noted below), who established guidelines, reviewed submissions, and scrutinized for accuracy and completeness. University of Washington Press supported and guided this project throughout its long history.

In the second edition, the revised introduction brings the story of Seattle architecture into the 21st century. It updates the 48 essays in the first edition, and includes new essays on Edwin J. Ivey, Fred Bassetti, L. Jane Hastings, and Richard Haag, and on architects and speculative housing.

The revised sources appendix includes new research and the “Additional Significant Seattle Architects” appendix has been expanded from 85 to more than 250 brief sketches of important individuals and firms not addressed in the main essays. Finally, the appendix “Researching Seattle’s Architectural Past” has also been expanded and updated.

For the second edition, the Press provided a completely new design with larger pages, allowing larger photographs. Like the original book, the second edition conveys the broad range of “architectural achievement and the extraordinary diversity of those who contributed to making Seattle’s built environment.”

Supporting Partners: University of Washington Press; Jeffrey Karl Ochsner; Dennis A. Andersen; Duane A. Dietz; Katheryn Hills Krafft; David A. Rash; and Thomas Veith.

Interurban Shelters Restoration

This is the third of an eight-part series on our blog, highlighting Historic Seattle’s 2015 Preservation Award recipients. The awards were presented at our 7th Annual Preservation Awards Ceremony on May 12, 2015, at the Good Shepherd Center.

Transporting through History Award

Interurban Shelters Restoration, Queen Anne and Rainier Valley
Interpretive sign at Westlake and Dexter shelter. Image courtesy of SDOT.

Interpretive sign at Westlake and Dexter shelter. Image courtesy of SDOT.

The Transporting through History Award went to the Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) for the restoration of two former interurban shelters in the Queen Anne neighborhood and Rainier Valley.

These small projects by SDOT have greatly helped to enhance neighborhood streetscapes and historic character. The historic shelters at Westlake and Dexter (Queen Anne) and Wildwood Station (Rainier Valley) had been in use as bus shelters for decades but were in need of repair and maintenance. In 2014 – 2015, SDOT rehabilitated these shelters, recognizing them as historic assets and as needed improvements for the transit system. SDOT worked with both the Queen Anne and Rainier Valley historical societies to gain public input on the project, and developed content for interpretive heritage markers on the history of the interurban shelters.

Total project cost was $150,000, which included structurally restoring the shelters and adding lighting, garbage receptacles and heritage markers. Funding came from “Bridging the Gap” levy funds.

About the Historic Shelters

These shelters are reminders of Seattle’s once extensive streetcar network which criss-crossed the city from the 1890s to late 1930s. The Westlake and Dexter shelter was constructed in the late 1920s or early 1930s to protect riders waiting for the Seattle Municipal Railway streetcars that ran on Dexter Avenue N and Westlake Avenue N. The Municipal Railway shared the rails along Westlake with the Seattle-Everett Interurban Railway, with the last interurban trip taking place in 1939. Today, the bus shelter serves passengers who ride Metro Routes 40 and 62.

The Wildwood Station shelter, constructed in the late 1910s or early 1920s, is located in the Brighton area of the Rainier Valley neighborhood at Rainier Avenue S and S Wildwood Lane/S Holden Street. This shelter originally served the Seattle, Renton & Southern Railway, later changing to the Seattle Rainier Valley Railway. The shelter has served bus transit since 1937 and currently serves Metro Routes 7 and 9 riders.

Supporting Partners: Seattle Department of Transportation; Queen Anne Historical Society and Rainier Valley Historical Society.

Starbucks Reserve® Roastery & Tasting Room

This is the second of an eight-part series on our blog, highlighting Historic Seattle’s 2015 Preservation Award recipients. The awards were presented at our 7th Annual Preservation Awards Ceremony on May 12, 2015, at the Good Shepherd Center.

Best Adaptive Reuse Project

Starbucks Reserve® Roastery & Tasting Room / Packard Showroom
1124 Pike Street

Starbucks Reserve Roastery and Tasting RoomThe Best Adaptive Reuse Award went to Starbucks for its outstanding achievement in the adaptive reuse of the former Packard Seattle auto showroom on Capitol Hill.

In December 2014, Starbucks opened its new roasting facility, café, restaurant, and retail store, Starbucks Reserve® Roastery & Tasting Room. Housed in a former 1920s auto showroom, the elaborately ornamented terra cotta-clad building is a prominent landmark at the corner of Pike Street and Melrose Avenue. The one-of-a-kind specialty roaster concept is a collaboration between Starbucks and Seattle chef Tom Douglas.

The project involved restoring the terra cotta facade and retaining the large window bays to preserve the exterior’s historic character. The interior space was transformed under the keen eye of Liz Muller, Starbucks vice president of Creative and Global Design. Muller remembers standing in the space while Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz described his vision of the space, a “surreal place where the love of coffee must come through…‘Seductive’ was the word he used.”

The original terrazzo and concrete floor, as well as the heavy wood timbers and open floor plan were incorporated with newer design elements such as the angled wood beams at the entrance that are “reminiscent of coffee stir sticks,” and a hand-bent wood baluster.

The roasting process is also fully on display including large storage silos, a custom-engineered pneumatic system for transporting coffee beans, and a hand-hammered copper cask that serves as a visual centerpiece. A Tom Douglas restaurant, Serious Pie, occupies part of the space. A nearby shop area offers Seattle-sourced goods.

Capitol Hill Seattle blog reported, “Capitol Hill’s transformation has carried its auto row buildings from the boom days to bust to a new boom of reuse and development.”

Supporting Partners: Starbucks; Tom Douglas; Graham Baba Architects; JTM Construction; MA Wright LLC; ARUP; Pioneer Masonry; TubeArt.

Photos courtesy of Starbucks.

Trinity Parish Episcopal Church

This is the first of an eight-part series on our blog, highlighting Historic Seattle’s 2015 Preservation Award recipients. The awards were presented at our 7th Annual Preservation Awards Ceremony on May 12, 2015, at the Good Shepherd Center.

Trinity Parish Episcopal ChurchBeth Chave Historic Preservation Award
Exemplary Stewardship

Trinity Parish Episcopal Church
609 Eighth Avenue

The Exemplary Stewardship Award went to Trinity Parish Episcopal Church for its longstanding dedication and deep passion for preservation throughout its stewardship of this historic stone church on First Hill.

Built in 1892 and enlarged in 1902, Trinity Parish is the City’s first stone church. The English Gothic Revival building is distinguished by its Wilkeson sandstone exterior and figural stained glass windows fabricated by the Franz Mayer Studio of Munich, Germany.

When Trinity Church was severely damaged in the 2001 Nisqually Earthquake, the congregation and community came together to restore this sacred place. They raised $7 million and embarked on a nearly three-year restoration and seismic retrofit. Bassetti Architects planned the restoration and RAFN Company implemented the dangerous work of securing the tower and strengthening the walls. At the same time, the stained glass windows, baptismal font, and pipe organ were restored; a new altar was incorporated; and interior furnishings were updated. The congregation celebrated its first service in the restored sanctuary on Christmas Eve, 2005.

In 2013, Trinity contracted with SMR Architects to carry out additional seismic work to restore the outward appearance and inward strength of the building. Nancy Cleminshaw, Trinity’s Junior Warden, worked closely with the architects throughout design and construction phases. Wiss Janney Elstner conducted extensive tests on the mortar and deteriorating sandstone in order to repoint and clean the stone masonry. The discolored and cracked protective window coatings were replaced, allowing the stained glass to regain its original vibrancy. W.G. Clark performed the tricky task of steeple repairs and cupola roofing replacements.

Though more recent development has diminished Trinity’s view, the historic stone church remains an integral part of Seattle’s architectural and religious history. The church is listed on the state and national registers, and is a designated Seattle landmark.

Supporting Partners: Trinity Parish Episcopal Church; Bassetti Architects; SMR Architects; Quantum Engineers; I.L. Gross Structural Engineers; RAFN Company; W.G. Clark; Pioneer Masonry; Wiss Janney Elstner; Seattle Stained Glass.

Photos: William P. Wright