Accounting Assistant (Part-Time)
Application Deadline: Priority given to applications received by April 6th, 2018
Position Type: 20 hours per week, Non-exempt
The Accounting Assistant reports to the Accounting and Administration Manager and is responsible for entering transactions via QuickBooks into the financial records of all entities in relation to accounts payable and accounts receivable and processing payroll. In addition, the Accounting Assistant will assist the Accounting and Administration Manager with other bookkeeping and administrative tasks as needed and as time allows.
Essential Job Functions:
- Accounts Receivable and Income transactions – process and record invoices and receipts of monthly lease and rentals, membership and events, program fees, contributions and grants. Prepare weekly bank deposits. Monitor customer accounts for past due balances and send statements or reminders as needed. Enter online credit card transactions in QuickBooks.
- Accounts Payable – process and record invoices received and all credit card charges made for operating and capital expenses. Obtain approval for all outgoing payments. Prepare checks for payment.
- Payroll – process timesheets and other payroll and benefits status change documents using online payroll service. Prepare semi-monthly payroll for outside provider of payroll service. Work with Accounting and Administration Manager to ensure appropriate documentation is maintained for payroll and personnel records. Hold sensitive payroll information confidential.
- Other bookkeeping and administrative duties – bank account, credit card, and other account reconciliation, may include recording journal entries, scanning and filing, sorting and organizing paper and electronic files and other duties as needed.
Minimum Performance Standards:
This position requires the incumbent to perform duties and tasks in a consistently accurate and timely fashion. It requires adhering to established bookkeeping practices at the organization while also seeking new efficiencies. The incumbent will be privy to personnel information and must maintain strict confidentiality. Organizational events and activities may occur on weekends or evenings from time to time but attendance is rarely required.
- One to three years accounting/bookkeeping experience using QuickBooks
- Associate or bachelor degree
- Basic understanding of GAAP
- Demonstrated strong proficiency with Excel
- Demonstrated proficiency with Windows and Microsoft Outlook and Word
- Demonstrated accuracy and detail orientation
- Ability to work under pressure and meet required deadlines
- Time management skills and the ability to prioritize competing duties and tasks
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally in both verbal and written form
- Ability to work independently, yet collaboratively, in a team environment
- Experience working with non-profit organizations and restricted funds preferred
Compensation: The rate for this position is $17.00 – $18.00 per hour, depending upon experience.
Benefits: This position is eligible for prorated holidays and prorated sick and vacation accrual.
To Apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position in PDF format to Jane Davies, Accounting and Administration Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org. If we contact you for an interview, you will be asked to provide at least three professional references.
Historic Seattle is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.