image description
47.636871 -122.37464899999998

14th Ave W Houses

Address:
2000 14th Avenue West, Seattle, WA 98119, United States
Date Built:
1890-1910
Original Architect /
Builder:
Unknown
Original Owners:
Various owners--the houses were once part of a larger Finnish community
Description:
Five one- and two-story late Victorian frame houses featuring angled bays, rectangular towers, porches with milled brackets, turned posts and scallop shingles.

Historic Seattle’s Role:

In 1977-78, Historic Seattle purchased three of five houses on the west side of Queen Anne Hill after they were identified as historically and architecturally significant through the Urban Resources Inventory for the neighborhood. The houses once bordered Smith Cove at the north end of Elliot Bay and were part of a large Finnish community. The five houses (four of which have protective easements) were re-sold to private individuals and designated as a Seattle Landmark in 1978 as the 14th Avenue West Group.

Current and Future Uses:

The houses continue to be individually owned and occupied as single-family residences or duplexes. Protective easements on all four houses (2000, 2006, 2010, and 2016 14th Ave W) are held by Historic Seattle to ensure the exteriors of these houses will remain intact and original to their turn-of-the-century construction.

 

Photo: Marissa Natkin

Ongoing Stewardship and Easements

Want updates on everything Historic Seattle?Sign up for our monthly e-newsletter