- 1500 Lakeview Blvd E, Seattle, WA 98102, United States
- Date Built:
- Original Architect /
- Robert Reichert, Architect / Sanford Mokelbust, Builder
- Original Owners:
- Admiral Willard Egan, United States Navy, Retired
- Post-World War II Modernist Northwest Architecture, designed triangular form on a rectangular plane atop a pier block.
Historic Seattle’s Role:
Remarkable for its unusual, non-conforming modernist design, the Egan House, designed by architect Robert Reichert in 1958, was acquired by Historic Seattle in 1998 in partnership with the Seattle Parks and Recreation Department. Threatened with demolition on a number of occasions, the Egan House is an outstanding example of modern residential architecture. Historic Seattle undertook interior and exterior rehabilitation of the property in 2003. Historic Seattle owns the building and Seattle Parks and Recreation owns the land. The Egan House was designated a Seattle Landmark in 2010.
Current and Future Uses:
The Egan House’s exterior work included repairs to deteriorated and insect damaged wood, a new roof, paint and support column for the cantilever above the entryway. Interior work included paint, heating system improvements, tile replacement and bathroom and kitchen upgrades. Since September 2003, the house has served as single-family rental maintained by Historic Seattle.
The 1958 building is the youngest in Historic Seattle’s portfolio. When first constructed, the building represented a shift away from traditionalist styles. Its preservation has helped Historic Seattle expand its advocacy and educational programming to support recognition of modern design as a significant part of our architectural heritage.
Photo: 1958 view of the Egan House / University of Washington Libraries Special Collections