image description
47.6684712 -122.38288590000002

Fire Station No. 18

Address:
5427 Russell Avenue Northwest, Seattle, WA 98107, United States
Date Built:
1911
Original Architect /
Builder:
Bebb & Mendel
Original Owners:
City of Seattle
Description:
Red brick construction, designed in a modified Germanic style evident by its stepped gables, large overhanging eaves and wooden brackets on the sides of the building.

Historic Seattle’s Role:

After being declared surplus property by the City of Seattle, Historic Seattle acquired Ballard Fire Station No. 18 from the City in September 1976, for the purpose of complete renovation and adaptive reuse. The fire station, originally built for horse-drawn fire engines, is noteworthy for its early sophisticated engineering, brick massing and architectural style. Fire Station No. 18 was in continuous use for 63 years–longer than any other fire station in Seattle. The building is a designated Seattle Landmark and listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Historic Seattle holds a preservation easement on this property.

Current and Future Uses:

Fire Station No. 18 remains a significant focal point of the Ballard neighborhood. The building is currently used as a restaurant and offices.

 

Photo: Jennifer Tucker

Ongoing Stewardship and Easements

Want updates on everything Historic Seattle?Sign up for our monthly e-newsletter