- 1119 8th Ave, Seattle, WA 98101, United States
- Date Built:
- Phased construction, 1916-1922
- Original Architect /
- George Dunham Foote
- Original Owners:
- Fourth Church of Christ, Scientist
- Neoclassical Revival style with Roman stylistic details, such as the Roman Doric column capitals.
Historic Seattle’s Role:
Under Historic Seattle’s guidance in 1998, this Neoclassical Revival style, terra-cotta clad church was transformed in Town Hall, a meeting and performance spaced dedicated to musical, literary, educational, and community uses. In 1997, the congregation of the Fourth Church of Christ Scientist was faced with the possibility of selling to an unsympathetic developer. Historic Seattle completed a feasibility study that supported its use as a meeting and performance space. In 1997, Historic Seattle successfully negotiated a purchase and sale agreement for the property. In 1998, Historic Seattle assigned the purchase rights for the building to Town Hall, LLC, an investor group led by David Brewster.
The former Fourth Church of Christ, Scientist was designated a Seattle Landmark in 2012.
Current and Future Uses:
Today, the venue, known as Town Hall, is maintained and operated as a community and performing arts center by the non-profit group Town Hall Association, and has been undergoing a multi-year process of upgrades and rehabilitation. The building successfully hosts a wide variety of events throughout the year and is a neighborhood and city asset, serving the community by presenting over 410 events to nearly 105,000 audience members.
Photo: Historic Seattle Archives