Historic Seattle Seeks Director of Philanthropy
Historic Seattle’s Mission
For the mutual pride and benefit of all citizens and to foster a more livable environment, Historic Seattle protects Seattle’s architectural heritage through educational programs, advocacy and the preservation of buildings and cultural landscapes.
Invitation to Apply
Historic Seattle Preservation and Development Authority (HSPDA) invites applications for the position of Director of Philanthropy. Historic Seattle is the only city-wide non-profit organization devoted exclusively to the preservation of Seattle’s historic and architectural legacy. Since its founding in 1974, Historic Seattle has been a major advocate for and active participant in thoughtful and meaningful preservation and rehabilitation of historic buildings and landscapes. Historic Seattle seeks an exceptional fundraising professional to join our team of 15 staff members, 200 volunteers and 600 members. Our Director of Philanthropy will be tasked with building a culture of philanthropic support. This support will provide additional financial capacity and shall build upon an existing, sustainable and healthy $2.6M annual operating budget.
The Director of Philanthropy will be:
- Closely aligned with the mission of Historic Seattle.
- A seasoned development professional with a track record of success building a comprehensive annual giving and major gift program.
- Team oriented in achieving organizational goals.
- Able to balance strategic planning and day-to-day completion of necessary tasks.
- Sensitive to interpersonal dynamics and relationships.
The responsibilities of this position include:
- Working closely with the Executive Director, HSPDA Council and Staff and the Historic Seattle Foundation Board.
- Thoughtfully developing strategy, conducting research, providing leadership and effectively executing a variety of fundraising initiatives including (but not limited to) project-specific capital and endowment campaigns, planned giving, annual fund, membership, fundraising events, corporate sponsorship programs and grant writing/management.
- Managing volunteers to assist in donor cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
- Developing the role descriptions for the Historic Seattle Foundation Board.
- Working to build the Foundation Board and working with the Executive Director and Board leadership to enhance the relationship between the Foundation Board and HSPDA Council.
- Supervising the Membership and Communication Manager in addition to other appropriate consultants, contractors and/or vendors.
- Overseeing the development of collateral materials related to philanthropic programs.
- Improving upon the existing donor/member acknowledgment and benefit fulfillment program.
- Supervising computerized record keeping and gift receipting.
This position reports to the Executive Director of Historic Seattle Preservation and Development Authority and Foundation. A comprehensive salary and benefits package is offered. Historic Seattle offers a positive and flexible working environment. Candidate must be willing to work occasionally outside of normal business hours.
Education: Baccalaureate Degree or equivalent experience is required.
- Five years of progressive, results-oriented experience and a fundamental understanding of capital, endowment, annual, major and deferred gift programs.
- Experience in and knowledge of historic preservation, real estate development, and public funding programs.
- Provide effective communication, writing, organizational, leadership, administrative, marketing, and computer skills.
- Ability and desire to work effectively with people of diverse personalities, cultures and communication styles, including volunteers, community leaders, business representatives, Board members, and colleagues.
- Experience in a non-profit setting.
Posting Date: July 10, 2015. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply by August 14, 2015.
Please email a cover letter addressing qualifications and interest in the position, resume highlighting relevant experience and at least three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions may be directed to Kji Kelly, Executive Director at email@example.com.
Historic Seattle is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants representing the diversity of our community are encouraged to apply.