Queen Anne Exchange
In Seattle, there is often tension between preservationists and developers; a conﬂict between saving existing buildings and serving the needs of the community, speciﬁcally with places for more people to work and live. Queen Anne Exchange reconciles two divergent goals: through the adaptive reuse of a landmarked neighborhood building, it transforms a structure used as a storage facility for over ﬁve decades into 25 apartments in highly desirable Queen Anne. Read more on our blog.
Lorne McConachie has done a lot of preservation over the past 36 years. From the creation of the historic structures report for the St. Edward Seminary in Kenmore, WA to the renovation of a portion of the old Rainier Brewery into Fran’s Chocolate Factory in Seattle’s Georgetown neighborhood to the restoration of the Collegiate Gothic Mary Gates Hall building at the University of Washington, Lorne’s impact on historic renovation projects across the Paciﬁc Northwest and beyond is outstanding. Read more on our blog.
Dr. James & Janie Washington Cultural Center
Community Advocacy Award
A true renaissance man, Dr. James W. Washington Jr.’s many talents and interests (painting, sculpting, writing, community activism, amount others!) left an impact on Seattle and the nation. Many artifacts from his remarkable life remain in the house he and his wife, Mrs. Janie Rogella Washington, purchased in Seattle’s Central District in 1949. The Dr. James W. Washington Jr. & Mrs. Janie Rogella Washington Foundation, established in 1997, has maintained and upgraded the house, studio, and gardens, and continues a legacy that preserves and interprets Dr. Washington’s works and encourages others “by providing a setting where they can grow beyond the book, spiritually and artistically, and share their talents with a larger audience.” The Dr. James & Janie Washington Culture Center also receives a $3,000 Community Advocacy prize to fund their ongoing work. Read more on our blog.
Community Investment Award
The University National Bank building in the U District was designed by The Beezer Brothers, the building’s architects, who relocated to Seattle from Pittsburg, PA, in 1907. For 106 years it served as a bank under various owners. In 2018 the University National Bank was put on the market and Hunters Capital, recognizing it’s historical significance, purchased the building and completed a beautiful restoration. Read more on our blog.
The Soul Pole honors 400 years of African American history and the struggle for justice in the United States. It has stood tall outside the Douglass-Truth Branch of the Seattle Public Library for 50 years. It was gifted to the library in 1972 by the Seattle Rotary Boys Club and carved by six young community artists in the late 1960s. The Soul Pole became a safety concern in recent years to it’s deteriorating condition, prompting a partnership between the Black Heritage Society of Washington State and the Seattle Public Library to repair and protect the 21-foot wood sculpture. Read more on our blog.
Outstanding Stewardship Award (1 of 2)
The Bremer Apartments, in the heart of Belltown, were constructed in 1925 for client George Bremer and designed by architect Max Allen Van House. Today, the 49-unit property is operated by Community Roots Housing (formerly Capitol Hill Housing) as affordable housing – and is one of a diminishing number of character buildings still standing in the neighborhood. In 2018, the nearly 100-year-old apartments were deemed “high-risk” in the event of an earthquake by the City of Seattle. Community Roots recently performed a voluntary seismic retrofit to protect the life safety of residents and community, as well as the building, against the effects of a seismic event! Read more on our blog.
Outstanding Stewardship Award (2 of 2)
Built at the base of the original Skid Road (Yesler Way) in 1908, The Frye Hotel, originally advertised as Seattle’s “First Fire-Proof Hotel,” was Pioneer Square’s first luxury hotel to have ensuite bathrooms. The building was converted to 234 apartments in the 1970s. In the late 1990s, the Low Income Housing Institute (LIHI) purchased the building. LIHI recently completed an extensive renovation including mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems overhauls– all while honoring the building’s historic features and minimizing the impact on its tenants! Read more on our blog.