Main Street School Annex
- 307 6th Avenue South, Seattle, WA 98104, United States
- Date Built:
- Original Architect /
- Attributed to James Stephen
- Original Owners:
- Seattle School District - operated the school until December 1921.
- Excellent example of a vernacular two-room schoolhouse built at the turn of the century. Classical Ionic columns and a pediment were added to the structure.
Historic Seattle’s Role:
This early frame school building was built as an annex to the original 1873 Main Street School at the corner of Sixth Ave S and S Main St. The building originally contained a two-room floor plan. The City’s first kindergarten met in the Main Street School Annex building which was donated by Mrs. Bailey Gatzert. The school played an important role in the cultural development of the Asian community serving as the education center for the majority of Seattle’s first generation Americans of Japanese and Chinese descent. The property, threatened to be demolished, was bought by Historic Seattle in May 1974 from H. T. Kubota, making it the organization’s first property transaction. Once the property was stabilized and a suitable owner was found, the building was sold in December, 1975 with protective easements in place to protect the building from future demolition or alteration.
Current and Future Uses:
Fully restored, the former school building is currently used for professional offices. Easements continue to protect property.
Photo: Marissa Natkin, copyright 2005